Re: Headaches setting in

On Sat, Mar 13, 1999 at 12:28:36AM -0500, Jon Earle wrote:
> enlightenment) and logout.  restart  and the same thing happens!  I killed
> off the gnome and enlightenment dirs again,. and now, enlightenment has no
> background pics to show!

	The deal with Gnome/E background selection is pretty simple, but can
be a bit confusing.  Gnome has a background capplet, and that will let
you set the background of the root window. Neat, great, no problem,
so long as you're only using 1 desktop in E. (Not 1 desktop with 4
virtual screens, as is the default RedHat E Install)

	If you are using more than one desktop (or just want to use E to
set the background anyway) then you need to disable Gnome's background
selection.  To do that, just click the "Diable background selection"
box on the Control Center Background setter thingy. (That's a techical
term, by the way, "thingy")   Once you do that, E will use it's
own background settings.

> 2. I get lots of weird errors when I shut down gnome:  "sh: `-c' requires
> an argument", "Gdk-ERROR **: an x io error occurred"  \n  "aborting...", etc

	Most of that are things you don't need to worry about... usually chalked
up to badly-behaved programs throwing errors when they get the kill
instruction from the X server.

> 3.  If I kill the help-browser, I get a core file.

	Could be worse.. could just core. :)

	Sorry I couldn't answer all you're questions, but I hope it
helps,

			Adam

--
Adam Jacob - Sr. Systems Administrator <adam@cybertrails.com>