Re: win98 doesn't boot after Gnome install!!!

Brian Kurotsuchi wrote:

> I agree that this certainly NOT a Gnome problem...but we'll help you fix it
> anyway. :)

Thanks.

> The general format for using lilo to boot multiple OSs is:
>
> ------- /etc/lilo.conf -------
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout=50
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
>         label=linux
>         root=/dev/hda1
>         read-only
> other=/dev/hda2
>         label=win95
>         table=/dev/hda
> ------- /etc/lilo.conf -------
>
> I don't remember (/want to remember?) if this works with NT.  Also, this
> generic config won't work if you have any of the linux root partition
> extending past approx. 540MB from the beginning disk.
>
> Was the floppy you used to boot linux before a disk with just lilo, or did it
> have the entire kernel?

It's a LILO boot disk (I think), the one that I created during the
installation process.  It jumps to /dev/hda10 to actually boot, I
believe.

> As a general policy, I make a 100MB root at the beginning of the disk for
> linux root, then install other OSs beyond that, along with other linux
> partitions.  This avoids complexities of booting.

That's a good idea, I think I might try that for the next total
reinstall
of everything, which is probably what I'm going to do ... next week!
I guess I'm not sure how to install windoze 98 after I install linux,
but I'm sure it's listed in the HOWTO/mini-HOWTOs ...

> Sorry, if I missed something important that was mentioned in a past
> message...I've been hitting the delete key quite frequently with messages that
> have a Windows subject line.

I know, I hate using Micro$oft products in general, but unfortunately,
the Verilog simulation software I use at work only runs on NT and
other UNIXes (Solaris, etc.).  I keep pushing Synopsys to release
VCS on linux every chance I get!  The good news is that VirSim is
ported (being ported) to linux.  All of you linux users out there
who use Synopsys VCS and/or Design Compiler should put the pressure
on them to port their software to linux!