Re: db2html in gnome 1.0

Xun Cheng wrote:

> Hi,first I want to thank you for the great work of gnome development.
> I love it.
> Second, I have a question on the compilation of tarballs. Several
> packages are using db2html to generate docs. But they are reporting
> errors on my machine. The error is strange, such as "cp ../index.html .,
> no such files" etc. Could someone explain it to me how to install
> a correct db2html package?

This error has presumably been preceeded by another error:

db2html: command not found  (or the like)

That is without db2html no html docs are built. So nothing can be copied.

I have found a db2html executable in the gnome-docu module. I copied this to
/usr/bin, But now 'jade' was missing. I installed jade, but this required
docbookDTD. Got it, compiled it. But it wasn't the end other things were missing.
And configuring anythiong to run properly seemed to require to scan several
hundred kilobytes of html docs. Finally I was fed up and chose to live with the
errors as long as packages compile successful without it, This works in most
cases.

Yesterday I compiled the new gnome-libs. make succeded, but make install didn't
bacause of the docs stuff, so I disabled the make install: targets in the docs
subdirectories, where necessary. And I will continue to do so, until I find
an acceptable way to get the sgml/docbook thing to work. I really don't need
these things. And if this is the only way to get gnome to compile successfully
I'm prepared to live without the docs. I think one day there will be usable docs
or manpages somewhere on the net.

Henning

--
  H. Henning Vossieck - h.vossieck@ndh.net - http://www.ndh.net/home/vossieck/