Re: new development!!$$%%^^&&

On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 03:23:09PM -0500, raster@redhat.com wrote:
> On 11 Mar, Ronald de Man scribbled:
> ->  On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 10:33:27AM -0700, Maurice Hilarius wrote:
> ->  > OK, with the kind help of many on this list I _*HAD*_ my Gnome startting up
> ->  > fine.
> ->  > The last problem was where Enlightnement decided to add a line to my
> ->  > .xinitrc to start it _before_ Gnome, so of course it failed.
> ->
> ->  Is Enlightenment still doing that? I find that so windowish annoying.
>
> yes it still does - if you would just READ the dialogs and answer what
> you want to happen it wouldnt. it detects another WM running - and
> assumes you're an idiot for running another wm by hand whilst alreayd
> having a WM running... and thus propts you "do you want me to do this"
> "are you sure"
> "are you really sure?"
> etc.

I wasn't talking about starting enlightenment when another wm is already
running. The versions of E that I tried would add a line to .xinitrc
without asking. At least some versions of E did. If that was a bug and
has been solved for ages, then I read 'Enlightenment decided to add
a line to my .xinitrc' in the wrong way, sorry for that.

> if it ends up editing your file after you say yes several times then
> all I can say is you shoudl not just go hitting the "ok" butotn on
> every dialog you ever see wihtotu reading it..

I never saw any such dialog, but I suppose they will come up when
trying to start enlightenment while a wm is already running.

> admittedly there was a transient bug where E had reverse logic for a
> small while it wrote it anyway.. that has been fixed for ages.

Maybe that had something to do with it. It has been months since I last
tried E. I will try it again soon. I know I should try before complaining,
but as I said, I reacted to what the first poster wrote.

Ronald