Re: .xinitrc and root

Paul Huckaby wrote:

> Success!!!!!!!!! Yes finally. Thanks alot. Now I'm running Gnome 0.98, I've
> been reading alot about the problems everyone is having with 1.0. Should I
> wait till maybe Gnome 1.0.1 comes out?

That depends...Do you enjoy using GNOME and helping to debug it?  If
yes, stay on, and continue using this list as a resource.  Eventually,
you will have opportunities to contribute back to the list as you
recognize problems you have already experienced and discovered fixes
for.  Remember, WE ARE the Beta site...  If you stay on, you might visit
bugs.gnome.org and learn to submit bugs.  The developers no doubt put a
lot of energy into making that system function, and would appreciate its
use (I preface that with the fact that I have yet to use the the bug
system myself, but I will :)).

Is there any good UPDATED
> documentation about updating via RPM? What packages should I update, I've
> been reading some conflicting info on what is needed to upgrade.

I would suggest that this is not as tricky as it sounds.  Say you get
you RPMs from

ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/gnome-1.0/redhat/i386/

First off, there isn't anything in there that will hurt you to install,
so just grab 'em all!

With that said, I prefer to get these from a command line session (of
course you could use gFTP if you have it).  I do this in the following
manner:

1.  From a Terminal (like ETerm), cd to the directory where you want
your RPMs to reside (I use /usr/local/gnome/rpms/1.0).

2.  Type 'ftp ftp.gnome.org' and login as anonymous, password
<your_email_address> (this may take a while to get in -- many are trying
to get on at the same time).

3.  type 'cd pub/GNOME/gnome-1.0/redhat/i386' (or if you login to a
mirror, find the path to the 1.x rpms).

4.  Type 'bin' to set binary transfer mode.

5.  Type 'prompt' to disable interactive prompt.

6.  Type 'mget *' to download the lot!

7.  When finished, close your ftp session ('quit').  You will be in the
rpm directory.

8.  Type 'rpm -Uvh *.rpm'.  Watch the dependencies list that follows (if
it does).  Note whether these are programs which are critical for you;
if you install the rpms despite these dependencies, you will have to
re-install these programs (possibly from source).

9.  If you have decided to override the dependencies, type 'rpm -Uvh
--nodeps *.rpm'.  Watch for warnings of directories which couldn't be
deleted and note them.

10.  It would be a good idea to remove these directories, since there
may be new structures that Gnome needs.  Once you have deleted these
directories, type 'rpm -Uvh --nodeps --force *.rpm'.

Note that this --force'ing of files is probably only necessary the first
time you install; all subsequent installs should be installed using
'-Uvh --nodeps'. Again, this assumes you have ran it without '--nodeps'
and are OK with the dependencies being squashed.

regards,
Tim

Again