Re: [MAILER-DAEMON mail redhat com: Returned mail: User unknown]

On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 06:55:46PM -0500, Dave Reed wrote:

> There's another question below.  The original message got returned to
> me because when I reply to a gnome-list message, it puts
> gnome-list@REDHAT.com not gnome-list@gnome.org in the to field - are
> others having this problem?  I use emacs to read my mail if that makes
> a difference.
>
> Dave

Apparently your emacs uses the Resent-Reply-To: field to find a reply
address. I'm using mutt which first looks for a Reply-To: field, and
otherwise takes the reply address in the From: field (and in .muttrc
there's an option to make it always take the From: field).
The messages from gnome-list do not have a Reply-To: field, so by default
the address of the original sender is taken, which is sometimes ok, but
most of the time I prefer gnome-list@gnome.org. So what I recently did
was letting my .procmailrc file replace 'Resent-From:' by 'Reply-To:'
(since the Resent-From: field has gnome-list@gnome.org in it).

In case you want to set up something similar, my .forward file is simply

"|/usr/bin/procmail"

and my .procmailrc is

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail

:0
* ^Resent-From.*gnome-list
{
  :0 fh
  | sed s/^Resent-From/Reply-To/

  :0:
  gnome-list
}

What this does is catching all mails from gnome-list, replacing all the
Resent-From's by Reply-To's, and storing them in $HOME/Mail/gnome-list.
If you don't want these messages to end up in a separate directory, you
could try:

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail

:0 fh
* ^Resent-From.*gnome-list
| sed s/^Resent-From/Reply-To/

Should work, but I haven't tested it.

Of course you might prefer to change some other header into something else.

> <gnome-list@redhat.com>
>     (expanded from: <gnome-list@redhat.com>)
>
> > From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Hello shared library lovers,
> >
> >    Gnome libs 1.0.2 is now available for download.
> >
> >    The site is the same:
> >
> > 	ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gnome-libs
>

> Is it just me or does the pub/GNOME/sources directory not really
> exist?
>
> When using Netscape, it shows up but when I click on it, I get an
> error saying: unable to find the directory ...

Maybe it's just overloaded? Try a mirror.

> The latest gnumeric is also supposed to be there, but it's not.  When
> I go into the pub/GNOME/gnome-1.0 directory there is a link for the
> latest gnome-libs (I aussme to the above directory) but it doesn't
> work because it can't find that directory.
>
> Dave

Ronald