shared library problem (post-compilation)

Greetings, one and all.  Well, since I wanted to optimize the Gnome
(1.0.1) stuff to my own (P-100, 48 MB RAM) box, and I am also obsessed
with configure scripts (mmmm... dependency verifications...), I decided
to compile all of the Gnome stuff myself (RH 5.2, Kernel 2.2.1).  After
much waiting and compiling, I finally had the basics compiled without
any apparent errors.  However, whenever I try to run anything that I
had compiled, I'd get a shared library error.  Here's an example:

[root@cmayes gnome-libs-1.0.1]# /usr/local/bin/gnome-session
iceauth:  creating new authority file /root/.ICEauthority
SESSION_MANAGER=local/cmayes:/tmp/.ICE-unix/31179,tcp/cmayes:2893
/usr/local/bin/gnome-session: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/local/lib/libgnomeui.so.32: undefined symbol: gdk_imlib_get_cache_info

...and here's another...

[cmayes@cmayes bin]$ gnorpm
gnorpm: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/local/lib/libgnomeui.so.32: undefined symbol: gdk_imlib_get_cache_info

Yeah, it's the same thing, but I wanted to be thorough ;-)  So, if
anyone has seen this or has any suggestions, please let me know.

One more thing.  When I was perusing the bug-track list, I noticed that
other people had had shared library problems of a similar sort because
of an older copy of gtk+ floating around their system.  Now, I did
originally have this problem when I was compiling things.  After much
wrestling and cursing, I managed to get rpm to relinquish control and
let me dump the gtk stuff.  I couldn't figure out how to get the
command-line rpm to uninstall it, mainly because I did not seem to know
the syntax for the packages.  I'd do an "rpm -e <package-name>" but it
would claim that <package-name> was not installed when the gui rpm
managers told the that it did.  Glint, however, did not seem to have an
option to force an uninstall, so I downloaded and installed kpackage,
which seemed to do the job.  The dependency problem (when it checked
for gtk+ >= 1.2.0) cleared up, and I thought nothing more of it.

Anyway, I hope that's enough info.  Thanks in advance!

-Chris