font rendering

Howdy,
I've just recently installed gnome 1.0 on my
machince from sources, and everything works ok
except that any gnome application, such as the panel
does not completely render fonts.  It's pretty wierd;
if I look at the panel menu right now, it only gives a
`U' for utilities, `Settin' for settings, but in a
few minutes, presumably when caches are updated or something,
different letters will be missing.  It is also
always the last letters/words that are missing.  Most
of the properties,dialogs,boxes only have a
single letters after a setting which makes it hard
to set the correct things :)
For info, I installed everything in the source dir
on the ftp site, following the order given on the
install web page.  I upgraded the freetype engine to 1.2 to
see it that helps, but it didn't.  I'm using
kernel 2.2.3  and enlightenment wm.
Things like terms and user-typed text is fine,
it's just the gnome stuff.
I'd appreciate any help, or at least an idea where the
font rendering occurs.
Thanks,
James

James Nikkel