Re: E and Solaris 2.6 bugs

>From: raster@redhat.com

>one process is forked... it handles the "screen" thats put up whilst
>restarting.. thsi screen stays up to "cover up" nasty operations behind
>the scenes.. it does have its own display connection etc. though. maybe
>somehow the fd under solaris is retained between forks so the display
>connection is still active.. and thus select on root window still
>active... tho it seems on linux this doesnt happen. (Xlib sets the X fd
>to "close on exec").

Could be.  I've seen 3 processes before, but that was before the forking for
multiple display code was fixed.  How could I check for still-open X fds?

>oh oh oh oh... I know.. coudl it perchance have ben E attempting to
>connect to the session manager (gnome-session) and the connection et.c
>just hanging till gnome-session responded. and now that's been
>fixed????????????? *baffle again*

Could be - I don't use gnome-session, but maybe some other part of the Panel was
holding things up.  I *do* use the Gnome Pager.

Maybe somethings been tweaked so that calls to gnome-session are caught even
when gnome-session isn't running, and responded to safely instead?

Dunno.  I'll have a look into the Restart thing soon.

Mark.