Re: My first impression and goodbye

Edward Dunagin wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, James M. Cape wrote:
>
> ***************************snip********************
>
> > That may be the case, but the user should be at least somewhat
> > accomodating to the developers. I believe that if the Gnome culture
> > evolves to such a point that every user knows (because they have to
> > know) how to get and copy a backtrace from gdb to Netscape Mail, we'll
> > all be better off.
>
> hey jim, this is part of MY problems. i've been a dBase programmer,
> and a hellofa dos command line user, NEVER went to the MS Windows
> enviorment after looking at the first version of Windows. ive been
> using computers since the ibm1401 was around...BUT I have no idea what
> you mean by "how to get and copy a backtrace from gdb to netscape
> mail".
>
> does this mean that i'm just showing my ignorance? been using linux
> for 4 years now with xwindows...BUT the techspeak that is sometimes
> used has allways turned me off, BUT i stuck with linux...:-)

Basically, you run "gdb -file /path/to/crashing/program"

Type "exec" when the "(gdb)" prompt shows up.

Do whatever you did before that made the program crash.

Type "backtrace" at the "(gdb)" prompt when it comes back up.

Copy the resulting output into a mailer and send it to the list along
with instructions as to what you were doing to make the program crash.

Bona fida technospeak bug report. :-)

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "All animals are equal, some animals