Newbie Qs: Minimize? Sound? Desktop Areas?

OK I'm just getting started with Gnome 1.0.  I could use your help.

When I click the Minimize button for an application, the app disappears, never
to be seen again.  No icon, no taskbar.  How do I get it back?

I can only get X sound apps to work if I disable Gnome sound support.  I want
to use X11amp, xplaymidi, etc.  Does the sound app have to be Gnome aware
or compliant to work with Gnome's sound enabled?

The Gnome user manual says that the window manager can support multiple
desktop areas.  But on mine, the configuration screen for the window manager
is blank.  How do I get multiple desktops, then switch between them?

Thanks...Randy Wilkinson, Spokane WA, USA
Ididarod:  1141 miles from Anchorage to Gnome
Randall C. Wilkinson, P.E.
Womer & Associates
Spokane, WA
509-534-4884