.ICEauthority, please help me with my session problem

I've caught bits and pieces of a cure for this on the list, but I can't
get it to work.  I have a dialup ppp acount, an eth0 adapter with no
network attached and the loopback adapter.  I'm using RH 5.2 with 2.2.2
kernel.  My /etc/hosts file contains:
192.168.1.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

my resolver is set to first use hosts file, then dns.  It was set with
linuxconf.  Upon starting the machine, uname -a tells me I am
localhost.localdomain.  But during and after a ppp dialup it tells me I
am ngy????.bekkoame.ne.jp.  This seems to break my gnome-session because
the .ICEauthority file usually contains the ngy????.bekkoame.ne.jp
hostname.

I think I have two options here.  The first option is to try to guide
gnome-session to create sessions using localhost.localdomain.  I don't
know how to do this, can someone inform me?

The second option is to complain to redhat about all their stupid
convoluted scripts and then trash all their ppp scripts and reconfigure
it from scratch.

I'll probably do option 2 eventually but would like to use option 1 at
the moment.

Can't wait to get this stuff working properly.
BTW, how big is the complete gnome/enlightenment CVS tree?