Re: help: gnome won't run

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Tim Lewis wrote:

> David,
> I am interested in the correct answer being disseminated to the list.
> What is the solution for users who have dynamically-allocated IPs?
> Also, one correction to the line below has been:

I haven't ever had a problem with 127.0.0.1 only having 'localhost' bound to
it.  Notably I haven't spent a huge time with gnome but I haven't experience
the issue that brought this up.

All of my machines have only 'localhost' for 127.0.0.1, I have x.x.x.x for
my hostname which is 'whatever.domain.com'.  Whatever.domain.com is matched
in the /etc/hosts file for any given IP.  Naturally whatever.domain.com is
in /etc/HOSTNAME.

I validated the 'talk' problem several years ago and haven't found a reason
to do things any different.  I have static, dynamic, and tunnelled machines.

Any 'violation' would be in the pecularities displayed by the aforementioned
programs.  Unless the talk code has been fixed since then it's likely to
still be estranged.

If someone cared enough to research it for pure technical accuracy I'm sure
we could be assured and sleep better ....if it was really that important :)

I use talk on many machines and have spent numerous hours figuring this
problem out before doing the 'rtfm' part in /etc/hosts.

-d
--
 This is Linux Country. On a quiet night, you can hear Windows NT reboot!
  Do you remember how to -think- ? Do you remember how to experiment? Linux