Re: GNOME1.0 Probable Bugs & Questions

> When youre using the GtkItemFactory widget to create a menu you feed it a
> string.  If you would feed it "Main/Open" to create a menu, it would
> create a submenu with the title Main and an object within in it titled
> Open.  (It's not quite that easy, but you get the idea).  It works (I
> think) the same way with tree's.  The use of the word directory was a bit
> misleading.  GNOME creates the directory on it's own.  It's not a GTK+ bug
> as far as I can see, the program just needs to make itself aware of people
> using the / character in names.

I've only experimented with GTK+ briefly and was not aware of that
behaviour. So what's happening is that GTK+ is creating a submenu to which
GNOME then reacts by creating a directory? Wow ...

This is a personal opinion, but I think the fact that a widget toolkit
interpreting any sort of string input that may come from a user is going
to be fairly dangerous. I would think that '/' is used by many people as a
delimiter and to have the toolkit start doing things based on that is just
going to cause problems. I can imagine a number of applications ( such as
the menu editor ) for which this behaviour is unwanted, in which case they
will all be redundantly implementing workarounds for it.