disappearing panel settings

I've just installed 1.0 from the RPMs, and now I'm back to a gray
panel with help, netscape, and terminal buttons in the center. Is
there any way to get my old panel settings back?

I've noticed this happen before, generally when the panel crashes
or something like that. Is there documentation anywhere on what the
config files and such are? Something *simple* like ~/.gnome/panelrc
would be nice; unfortunately though the .gnome directory is pretty
much incomprehensible.

Maybe we need an "Advanced User's Guide"?

--D