Re: Error trying to get gnome 1.0 working

Eric,
Here you go...

1.  Make sure you have the machine name properly aliased...
Open /etc/hosts, and make sure you see:

127.0.0.1  localhost localhost.localdomain <machine_name>
<machine_name>.<ISP_Domain_Name>

if your machine is named something other than 'localhost'.  If things
are set up correctly, you should be able to ping your machine name:

ping <machine_name>

My host file says:

127.0.0.1  localhost localhost.localdomain talewis
talewis.worldnet.att.net

2.  Make sure /usr/share has read and execute permissions for all...
cd to /usr and  type:

ls -ld share

It should return something like 'drwxr-xr-x'.  If not, type:

chmod 755 share

then cd to share, and type:

chmod 755 *

These have been typical things stopping regular users from running
gnome-session.  Make sure .xinitrc shows only 'gnome-session'.

BTW, if you can't get sound to work, make sure you are logged in as
root, and type:

esdctl unlock

The next time you login as a regular user, sound will work.

Let me know if you are successful.

Tim