Re: Suggestion for making GNOME less dependent on E

---Sam Vilain <sam@hydro.gen.nz> wrote:

> James Ramsey <jjramsey_6x9eq42@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > What would be, I think, the best solution is to have a
terminal-based
> > utility for changing the default.session file, something
curses-based
> > or looking something like linuxconf. This would avoid the above
Catch
> > 22, and would perhaps be helpful if something else in the
> > default.session went fooey and kept X from running.
>
> Perhaps what you mean is that linuxconf should be extended to allow
> you to change /usr/share/default.session.

Not exactly. I just meant something that looked sort of like
linuxconf. If the extension to linuxconf was like a plugin that only
those running GNOME would need to install, then extending linuxconf
would be a good way to go. I don't know if linuxconf is designed to do
plugins, so if it isn't, then the utility to edit default.session
should be a separate piece of software.

> Or, as has been mentioned
> before, gdm should ask you what window manager you want to use on your
> first logon.

That wouldn't help those who use startx.

==

----I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool.----