Re: Suggestion for making GNOME less dependent on E

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999 19:52:56 -0800 (PST), James Ramsey
<jjramsey_6x9eq42@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I had always heard that GNOME was pretty much window-manager
>independent. Then, after I've installed GNOME from rpms, I find that
>gnome-session uses E as the default WM, and it was only after I read
>the mailing list archives, that I found that only those who compiled
>from source got the privilege of choosing the default WM. Hmm. There's
>got to be a better way to do this. I suggest adding an option to
>gnome-session, like this:
>
>gnome-session --fallback-WM 'FooWM --options blah blah'

This is hackish - you are wanting special treatment of the window manager
where currently none exists.

If as a sysadmin you wish to change the window manager in the default
session, edit $prefix/share/default.session

If as a user you wish to change your window manager, wm-properties capplet
should theoretically take care of this.

In the (pretty near) future, wm-properties will solve this problem.
-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg