Gnome and E

I created a new user, I've been told using root as my normal login is bad.
Now when I loggin as that new user E (Enlightenment) starts but there is now
background or Gnome menus ( actually I'm not sure if they are controlled by
Gnome or E) are not there and I can't shut down the darn thing. I remember
something about moving .xinitrc, but I'm not sure where that is and where
I'm supposed to move it, is there anything else that I need to do for the
new user to be able to enjoy all the great thing about Gnome. OH also, will
I have to do this all again when I upgrad to 1.0 (as soon as I get the guts
to try this.)
I'm currently running Redhat 5.2 ( the free one they were handing out at
LinuxWorld ). Thanks for any help

-Paul