Re: Gnome and E

Paul,
I had this same problem and I got this answer and it worked for me:

Create a new file in your home directory called .xinitrc by doing

            cat > .xinitrc
            PATH=$PATH:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
            exec gnome-session
            enlightment

    And press Ctrl-C to end cat. Do
            cat .initrc

    to check if you have the above in your .xinitrc file, and then
start X with
    startx.

The instructions were given to me from Juha Saarinen
(juha_saarinen@email.msn.com) and I was having the same problems
because I was not running enlightment, I was running the default
window manager in Red Hat (fwvm95). After I did the above, everything
works great.

http://www.gnome.org/gnomefaq