Re: GMC feedback / comments

the default action in windows follows a set of rules.  Under these rules
as far as I can tell the desktop is no different than any other folder.
Non executable files are moved if dropped on the same partition, copied if
dropped onto a different drive (or smb share, etc)  Exectuables create a
symlink if dropped on the same drive, or any other normal drive on the
system.  They are copied if dropped on removeable media, smb shares etc.
I tested all of these as I wrote this, but there maybe others.  I
personally always use the right mouse button with the menu)

-chris

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Nils Jeppe wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Ronald de Man wrote:
>
> > Are you sure? Also with Windows 95? I'm pretty sure that today at work
> > I moved some documents from a folder onto the desktop and that these
> > were no shortcuts, the documents were really removed from the folder.
>
> Windows95's behaviour is rather erratic. It behaves differently in many
> cases. For example, when you drag a file from a folder on drive c: to
> drive d:, it will copy the file. If a file is readonly, it will link the
> file, I think. When you move something onto the desktop, I think it
> depends on whether the file is originally located on the same drive. Maybe
> they fixed some of these in later versions, but I never ever drag with
> left mouse button anymore, I always use right button so that I get the
> menu.
Christopher Rogers      Stevens Institute of Technology
gandalf@pobox.com       http://www.pobox.com/~gandalf

Death.  Inevitable.  If death was inevitable, what was left?  Style, only
style.
			-Lucifer's Hammer (Larry Niven & Jerry Purnelle)