Re: GMC feedback / comments

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Ronald de Man wrote:

> Are you sure? Also with Windows 95? I'm pretty sure that today at work
> I moved some documents from a folder onto the desktop and that these
> were no shortcuts, the documents were really removed from the folder.

Windows95's behaviour is rather erratic. It behaves differently in many
cases. For example, when you drag a file from a folder on drive c: to
drive d:, it will copy the file. If a file is readonly, it will link the
file, I think. When you move something onto the desktop, I think it
depends on whether the file is originally located on the same drive. Maybe
they fixed some of these in later versions, but I never ever drag with
left mouse button anymore, I always use right button so that I get the
menu.

Of course these days 97% of the time I use UNIX, so...

I do know, however, that OS/2 Warp's default action was to MOVE files. If
you wanted a link, you had to hold down control+shift while dragging. I
seem to remember that OS/2 Warp 4 changed the default behaviour to create
links when files get dragged to the desktop, as an exception.

----
 "When one entertains female friends, one should try not to
  look quite as seedy as certain unnamed parties habitually do."
                     --- Calvin & Hobbes: "It's a Magical World"