Re: Did GNOME go 1.0 too early?

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Jesse D . Sightler wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Mar 1999 23:22:18 Damien Miller wrote:

> > > i second this opinion and think riding the hype was the primary
> > > goal of this release.
> >
> > I think it sad that free software, in its rush to gain commercial
> > acceptance, is sacrificing one of its core strengths. Free
> > software has been traditionally released "when it's ready", not
> > "when a media-rich conference is on" or "in time for the RH6.0
> > code freeze".
>
> Was Linux 1.0 ready for widespread commercial use?

Of course not, but it did not pretend to be the operating system
of the future. In many ways it was still a private research project.

> Things take time, and sometimes it's ok to release a version 1.0
> that isn't perfect for many reasons.

Perhaps what is most frustrating is that 0.99.8 was so close to
being 1.0-able.

> > Rushing out software before it is ready has given us linux-2.2.0
> > (an embarrassment by Linus' own account) and now GNOME-1.0.
>
> Yeah, but Linux 2.2 was in development for 2.5 years and still ended
> up with bad bugs in the first release.

... many of which were introduced at the last minute.

> Bad bugs in 1.0 releases are
> inevitable just because folks like you refuse to test the earlier
> stuff. :)

Please check your facts before accusing. I have submitted several bug
reports to this mailing list and to bugs.gnome.org.

Regards,
Damien Miller