Re: Did GNOME go 1.0 too early?

> I'm not convinced of this.  The majority of the mostly users who are likely to
> help make GNOME better (i.e. those who will suggest features and submit bug
> reports) are probably using GNOME now.  I'd say the users who will try Gnome
> 1.0 are those who, after a few crashes, will not bother with it anymore,
> let alone submit bug reports.

Actually, 1.0 is significant for developers, because it gives them a stable target to
develop against.  No longer do developers have to keep up with every little change in CVS
in order to maintain Gnome-compliant applications (not that they've had to for a few
weeks now anyway).  Also, the Gnome-libs seem to be documented fairly well at this point
which is good for app developers.

Really, this isn't so much important for the core developers, but for "third party" developers
it is quite significant.

Jesse D. Sightler
http://www3.pair.com/jsight/