Re: Did GNOME go 1.0 too early?

Spud said:

//    Possibly this is the fact that you are using Redhat and their package
//system
//makes it impossible to compile anything from source? I had that problem, and
--------

I'm starting to think this is a fact. I'm on RedHat 5.2 and I have been
unsuccessful in compiling or installing:

Balsa
WindowMaker
-Any- ICQ clone
guiTar

..and the list goes on and on. I have followed installation directions to a
'T,' and the above were attempts in just the past week. I have had Gnome
installed for a week and a half (approx.), and installed from RPMs (took
two tries and a complete RedHat reinstall to get it working; I had some
help from some of you).

I know I'm quit new to Linux, but I'm not a complete idiot. I still read
the documentation every day, but this whole
failed-dependencies/libs/rpms/.configure stuff/errors/problems is
unbelievable to a non-programmer. I'm just an average user, trying to find
an alternate in a Microsoft driven industry.

This is >extremely< hard for me. I cannot express how confusing it is.

I realize Linux is *supposed* to be this way, to an extent. But, man...

Brian