Re: Did GNOME go 1.0 too early?

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Andy Kahn wrote:

> ditto here.  i was hoping the installation method would be ironned
> out before the 1.0 release, but was very disappointed when i found
> out all the files i needed to install for a "complete" GNOME setup:

you need them all, yeah.. big surprise there. Although I figure you could
forget Enlightenment and use, say, Windowmaker instead.

> that's 39 separate files.  who on EARTH (especially those non-technical
> users) want to go about installing 39 separate files?  (i'm not going
> to go into how complicated the installation instructions are from the
> "old" getting started guide...)

I wouldn't really care, if compiling it was a bit more comfortable. As a
comparison, the Desktop Suite I use right now (name withheld to avoid
flame wars) compiled straight out of the tarballs with a simple

./compile --prefix=/what/ever
make
make install

Well, we'll see.

> that's right, an incomplete page!

Haha, yes I had a good laugh at that one.

----
 "When one entertains female friends, one should try not to
  look quite as seedy as certain unnamed parties habitually do."
                     --- Calvin & Hobbes: "It's a Magical World"