Problems with the panel

My system is currently on a downward spiral (probably from being crashed
to much by the soundcard and vid card fighting) and I need to upgrade
but I would like to see if anyone can make anysense out of this:

[mjb@r47h100 mjb]$ panel

Gdk-ERROR **: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

aborting...
Aborted
[mjb@r47h100 mjb]$

Any ideas? This is also being run on my linux box with me sitting at a
Sun. DISPLAY etc etc is setup such that stuff defaults to the sun (ie
netscape starts find, grip, licq even works).

Michael