Problems starting Gnome

Hi,

I can't start Gnome. I installed all the Gnome packeges from the SuSE
6.1 Distribution and tried to start Gnome with 'startx gnome'. But
everything I saw, was the grey screen of my X server without running any
windowmanager.

Then I got all packeges from ftp.suse.de/suse_update/GNOME/... I
installed them and tried the command 'startx gnome' again. Now the
result was different to the first try: KDE started.

'startx' tries to find an entry in the list returning from 'wmlist' that
matches the first parameter, in this case 'gnome'. That parameter is
then given to '.xinitrc' via the variable $WINDOWMANAGER. At the end of
'.xinitrc' the script executes $WINDOWMANAGER (in this case gnome). But
neither 'wmlist' returns an entry called 'gnome' (so that the
standardwindowmanager is taken (in my case KDE is started)) nor a script
called 'gnome' exists on my computer.

Could anybody help me?
Thanks in advance, Tobias