[Q] Lost RedHat/Gnome desktop after changing uid...

Hi --

I seem to have managed to loose my Gnome desktop after making a change to
my account's uid.

I've been trying to get my linux laptop to give me access to NFS files on
our Sun server. I have the same username and password on the linux machine,
and was able to mount the NFS directories, but only in read mode. I was
then told that I needed to make sure the uid from /etc/passwd matched as
well as the username and password. So I used LinuxConf to change the uid to
match the one from the Sun server. When I tried to quit it asked me if I
wanted to update the ownership of my home directory, which I did
(recursively -- perhaps this was the problem).

When I now log in, I get a blank (blue) screen: no more icons, no more
command bar, etc. Enlightenment seems to be running -- I can right-click on
this blank desktop and get a menu of commands, launch apps and xterms, etc.
Some of the Gnome-related applications (e.g. "GNOME Control Center" and
"File Manager") don't work. Of particular importance is that I no longer
have a way to logout or restart...

Can anyone give me a hint on how to solve this? Is there a GNOME
configuration file I need to fix? I'm working with RedHat 6.0 on a ThinkPad
600.

Thanks!

Ramon

Ramon M. Felciano              | "Made from 100% pure recycled electrons"
Section on Medical Informatics |   http://www.smi.stanford.edu/~felciano/
Stanford University            |                           (650) 298-0204