Re: Some things GNOME really needs

"Fox, Kevin M" <KMFox@mail.bhi-erc.com> writes:

> Well, my main point was: since rpm does automatic installs, what do we need
> an install wizard for?

RPMs don't really handle things like allowing a user to select which
parts of an app to install.  RPMs are all or nothing, and while you
could break your app into separate RPMs per component, seeing a
directory with 30 RPMs and expecting the user to know which to
install, without a nice graphical thingy, is often too much to
expect.

Also, RPMs can't prompt users things like "Which runlevels would you
like this to run in?"  or initial setup questions, but have to rely on
the defaults to work, or for the user to find things afterwards.
That's pretty easy, since rpm allows you to see where the config files
are, and can list the docs, but that's not what users from Windows
expect.

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - Looking for a job in Long Island!
Check http://rescomp.wustl.edu/~ats/ for a resume.