Re: X + keyboard problem

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Sarel J Botha wrote:

> I have a win95-clone keyboard and I like using one of the extra keys to
bring
> up the wmaker menu. When I start X via gdm the extra keys don't work,
starting
> it via startx it works fine. I'm using Debian and my session is set to
Debian,
> which runs /etc/X11/Xsession.
>
> Anyone have some advice?

>On Sun, Jun 20, 1999 at 05:32:53PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>>
>> Sounds like it might be a bug in the gdm package - maybe it skips some
>> step that xdm takes.
>>
>> Havoc
>>

>Nope, just tried xdm, does the same. I'll ask the Debian folk...

Do you have a .xinitrc file? If so, startx uses this. I suspect that when
you run startx instead of xdm or gdm, a config file used by startx (such
as .xinitrc) runs a command such as

usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
xmodmap $usermodmap &

Or some other xmodmap-type command to enable those keys. This is a common
way to enable "extra" buttons. If so, your life is easy, just copy those
xmodmap commands (whatever they may be) over to your .Xsession (or
whatever gdm uses, I use startx :-) )

--If not, I dunno.

Worth a try though?

Tom.
   | Tom Gilbert, England                        pingu@linuxfreak.com |
   | www.tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk    tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |
   | Sites to Visit:                |    .~.                          |
   |     www.freshmeat.net          |    /V\        L  I  N  U  X     |
   |     www.gnome.org              |   // \\   >Beware the Penguin<  |
   |     www.enlightenment.org      |  /(   )\                        |
   |     themes.org                 |   ^^-^^      www.linux.com      |