Re: Text processor

On Sat, Jun 19, 1999 at 05:01:05PM -0400, Robin Miller wrote:
> Olaf Dietsche wrote:
> >
> > Hi Robin,
> >

> > Did you take a look at gnotepad+ at http://ack.netpedia.net/gnp/ ?
>
> Olaf, Mr. Eric S. Raymond has set me straight. He's a
> high-profile software genius and I am a stupid blue-collar
> American worker and Vietnam veteran, so I am now leaving
> this list because he has showm me that I am not smart enough
> to have valid opinions.

Eric is a science fiction fan and a Libertarian -- don't take him that
seriously.

I've been involved with beta teams for years now (I think -- it
certainly feel like it).  Your function in this is to remind people in
this quarter that we don't have what many non-programmers would consider
the major program for a desktop -- a word processor (however defined).

There is a core of us who aren't programmers who occasionally have to
remind the programmers that most computer users aren't interested in
editing a .*rc file to get something to work.  And I've always been
wryly amused at how many IRC clients and games we have in Gnome.  Oh,
well.

I've played around with the various open source word processors and none
of them have all the features you're looking for.  If the code for
Maxwell and gwp (Seth Alves's program, if I remember correctly) could be
combined, if there was a way to use gtk in Maxwell, I think we'd be
further along.  I don't want to have yet another GUI library to use an
editor.

I hope you'll reconsider and stay with the list.  It's fairly rowdy as
development lists go (compared to XEmacs), but everything has come a
long way since I started with 0.28.

Except for the wp, of course.

--
Rebecca Ore