Re: Text processor

On 19-Jun-99 Robin Miller scribbled:
> I'm not trying to start a flame war here, so I won't get
> into point-by-point rebuttals. Let's just all agree that vi
> is great, emacs is wonderful, and that mouse movement is not
> efficient.
>
> I feel like someone who needs a car and has been told that
> what they really need is truck. But being a pig-headed,
> non-programming person, I'm still going to opt for the car.
>
> Trying to alter the users to fit the tools never works, even
> though it's a lot easier on the tool-makers than designing
> tools to fit the users. :)

good point. but linux is still growing. so far most users have been very
technical. we're used to vi and emacs from unix at school so the learning curve
has already been overcome. tools for the casual user will come.

> Right now, I repeat, there is not a single decent text/HTML
> writing program for Linux.

what's your definition of a text writing program? to most of us on this list
that means an ascii editor, no fonts no special formatting, just the 256
ascii characters. there are many and they're very good since, unlike
with microsloth, the users are able to code a feature they want, or at least
contact the developers directly to ask them to put it in. (i've noticed a
couple of replies on this thread offering to put your desires in emacs).
as for html, the best html editors are text editors. they allow you to get
right down into the code. for html development i've used M$ frontpage (company
policy--it sucked beyond belief), M$ notepad (after creating a page in
frontpage to make it comply, i'd do all editing here and view it in netscape),
emacs (worked great), gnotepad+ (also great), and gvim (my personal
fave right now since it's gtk enabled). the wysiwyg editors are fine for
developing a page about your cat, but if you need to make a real page, you need
to get into the html and edit it so most pros use text editors. plus wysiwyg's
add bloat which is never desirable. but if that's what you want try netscape's
composer option.