Re: Black PNG Problem Resolved - 1 Problem Left

>Well... it looks like I got that black PNG background problem resolved. Thanks
>go out to all who helped me out - there were some _old_ (1.0.97) PNG libs in
>/lib that were causing all the trouble. My new GNOME desktop is very nice, but
>there's one thing that still doesn't work: The Window Manager control panel
>applet. It just doesn't show up. Is this a bug, or another one of my dumb
>problems?

This happens when you don't have any window manager desktop files in
~/.gnome/wm-properties/. I'd definitely call it a bug, because if you don't
have any entries for WMs you can't add one! This is only a problem if you
don't have E, WindowMaker or Icewm installed. If you have one of those three
you can use the command "export WINDOW_MANAGER=icewm" (for example) before
running Gnome. If (like me) you don't have any of them installed, create a
directory called wm-properties in ~/.gnome and copy one of the desktop files
from the control-center package into it. Now the right-hand pane will appear
(even though there still aren't any *valid* entries), and you can add an
entry for your favourite WM.

I'll have a go at patching the wm-properties-capplet over the weekend unless
someone can tell me why this "feature" exists.

Michael Rogers