Re: GNOME Summary, June 7-14

>From: Tony.Lill@ajlc.waterloo.on.ca

>Havoc Pennington <rhp@zirx.pair.com> writes:
>
>> Session Management
>> ===
>>
>> Session management is a very powerful thing, when implemented
>> thoroughly. Applications should remember details such as the cursor
>> location, current open documents, and so on. I recommend reading the
>> "SM/SMlib.PS" document that comes with X (on Debian, it's in the
>
>When you are doing this, remenber that people could have the same app
>running in multiple sessions, so make sure that you save and restore a
>seperate state for each. For example, I have a seperate session for
>each client's network that I plug my laptop into.

Also remember that multiple screens will probably mean multiple Gnome sessions.
Right now Gnome appears to have *no* support for multiple screens.  I have to
start a panel with DISPLAY set to each screen in turn, and each screen gets the
same looking panel =OZ.  Same goes for Session Managed apps.  So I can't use
Gnome's Session manager.

Plus Gnome crashes completely if you attempt to use it with Xinerama (which is
probably why you don't see it in Raster and Mandrake's screenshots of this
working with Enlightenment).

If you're going to upgrade the Session Management and Panel Management features,
*please* record the DISPLAY each is supposed to be on when you do it?

Ta,

-------My opinion - Not sane, intelligent or necessarily useful-------
o o                                      mailto:Moredhel@earthling.net
/v\ark R. Bowyer.  http://i.am/Moredhel  mailto:Mark.Bowyer@UK.Sun.COM
`-'         "Everything is true, for a given value of 'true'" - PTerry