gnome-session not starting properly

I just installed WindowMaker 0.53 and the latest version of gnome on a
debian 2.1 system.

I have windowmaker set up in my /etc/X11/window-managers and WindowMaker
appears to work fine...

The problem that I'm having is, that after I install the gnome packages,
and put 'exec gnome-session' in the .xsession file in my home directory,
and startx things go a little wacky:

First of all, no panel shows up,
Second of all I get 5-6 xterm windows on my screen for some mysterious
reason. (looks like everytime I restart X one more is added????!!!??)

I've been asking for help in #debian on irc.debian.org and people told
me to try different things in the .xsession file like starting panel or
wmaker in there.... None of these worked any better for me.....

Currently in my .xsession file I have:

exec gnome-session

My .xsession-errors file says:

/usr/bin/X11/WindowMaker-gnome warning: using default menu file
"/etc/X11/Window
Maker/menu" as the menu referenced in WMRootMenu could not be found
xscreensaver-command: no screensaver is running on display :0.0
Gdk-Message: Got event for unknown window: 0

xscreensaver: warning: /etc/pam.d/xscreensaver does not exist.
xscreensaver: password authentication via PAM is unlikely to work.
xscreensaver disabling server builtin screensaver.
xscreensaver: you can re-enable it with "xset s on".
subshell.c: couldn't get terminal settings: Inappropriate ioctl for
device

** WARNING **: Could not get name service!

** ERROR **: file goad.c: line 606 (real_goad_server_activate):
assertion failed
: (name_service != CORBA_OBJECT_NIL)
aborting...

** WARNING **: No Debian menus found!

** WARNING **: No Debian menus found!

I know my way around linux fairly well, but these error messages are
beyond me!

If anyone can help me out I'd be very grateful....

Oh yeah..... I tried running panel from an xterm after starting x with
the above .xsession file, and panel works, but it tells me that panel is
already running. do I wish to restart a new one or something.... but
there was no panel visible before I ran 'panel'.

Thanks,
    Jon Harris
    jbharris@magma.ca