Re: gnome-session not starting properly

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Jon Harris wrote:

> I just installed WindowMaker 0.53 and the latest version of gnome on a
> debian 2.1 system.
>
> I have windowmaker set up in my /etc/X11/window-managers and WindowMaker
> appears to work fine...
>
> The problem that I'm having is, that after I install the gnome packages,
> and put 'exec gnome-session' in the .xsession file in my home directory,
> and startx things go a little wacky:
>
> First of all, no panel shows up,
> Second of all I get 5-6 xterm windows on my screen for some mysterious
> reason. (looks like everytime I restart X one more is added????!!!??)

I've been running different versions of windowmaker and I've had this
problem multiple times, when my session data is lost for whatever reason.
What I've usually done is start the panel in an xterm (i.e. panel & at
the prompt), and then exit windowmaker without closing the xterm
(which means the panel remains alive as well).   Next time you start you
have a panel start automatically.  I have an xterm open automatically via
my .xinitrc.

Brian E. Seppanen 	     	/|		Say Ya to da UP, eh!
seppanen@bresnanlink.net       / \     _          Marquette, MI
ICQ # 18912865 		     <    ^X--~ ~\       Powered by Linux
Yooper Nationalist	      ~-+   ;-:.  }       Linux Hobbyist
	                         \/~    ~'