Re: Don't overlook Simplicity.

In message <199906171546.LAA24580@mail.redhat.com>, Michael ROGERS writes:
> >The simple fact about average desktop users (those who need everything
> >spoon fed to them) is that anything that takes more than 4 or 5 clicks
> >or any typing to do is too hard for them.
>
> People this dumb or lazy will never move away from Windows, because they'll
> either assume all computers crash twice a day, or they'll come across the
> first obstacle ("Why can't Emacs read my Word 97 documents?") and give up.
> They are Windows' natural prey and there is no hope for them.

I don't think "dumb or lazy" is appropriate labels for the vast majority
of Windows users. Ignorant is a more accurate label. After all, their total
knowledge of computers comes from Microsoft's marketing department. I do
believe there is hope for most of them.

> Let's make Gnome easy to use, but not at the expense of power and efficiency.

I see no reason why we can't have both. In fact I would demand both from
any software I purchase.

Bob

| Bob Taylor             Email: brtaylor@inreach.com             |
| Gnome certainly is (serious competition to the Mac or Windows) |
| ... I get a charge out of seeing the X Window System work the  |
| way we intended..." - Jim Gettys                               |