Re: Gnome and CDE

>From: beimfohr@Statistik.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Frank Beimfohr)

>A question:
>I'm working with Solaris 2.5.1 and CDE. I want to run GNOME-Software without
>installing the window-manager. Which libraries/packages must be installed to
>run the software by keeping CDE? Or is it impossible to install GNOME without
>the desktop?

The easiest way is to install all of Gnome, and then start a panel inside CDE
and use the "G" Menu to access the applications.  Otherwise, you can do some
hacking about to get the Gnome applications to show up in the CDE Application
Manager, and then drag those icons onto your Front Panel and menus to get easy
access to them.

I've got 2 pages on my website (http://i.am/Moredhel) under "Unix Stuff", that
show the 2 other sides of this - "KDE Apps in CDE" and "CDE and KDE Apps in
GNOME", but haven't bothered doing the "Gnome Apps in CDE" because I prefer to
use the Panel =OZ  You should find enough there, though, to figure out what you
need.  I can help if not.  =O)

As far as libraries are concerned, as long as the executables can find them when
they run, you'll be fine.  So if the Gnome libraries install somewhere new, make
sure you set up you system to find them (through /etc/ld.so.conf or
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH or whatever your OS desires).

Finally, the "desktop" is difficult to fathom with Gnome.  The Window Manager is
Enlightenment, and you can choose to ignore it (I run it on both Solaris/SPARC
and Linux/Intel, though).  The Panel and the core apps are currently all part of
Gnome-Core, and so harder to separate.  The file browser/desktop icon system is
GMC, and again you can do without it.  Up to you.

So yes, you *could* install just GTK+/GLIB, ImLib and the graphics libraries,
ORBit, esound and libaudiofile, Gnome-Libs and Gnome-Core and I think it'll
work.  And then add other bits to taste.

Hope this helps,

-------My opinion - Not sane, intelligent or necessarily useful-------
o o                                      mailto:Moredhel@earthling.net
/v\ark R. Bowyer.  http://i.am/Moredhel  mailto:Mark.Bowyer@UK.Sun.COM
`-'         "Everything is true, for a given value of 'true'" - PTerry