Re: Gnome and CDE

Well since gnome does not have a window manager, that should not be a
problem.  At the minimum, you need gnome-libs, which in turn requires
glib, gtk+, imlib and ORBit.  You will probably want gnome-core.  Before
compiling gnome-core, you should probably install libghttp, libxml (not
required by gnome-core, but a number of other applications need it), and
libgtop (Ithink it now supports solaris).  Next you should install
control-center so you can configure the behaviour.

After installing these packages, you can run `panel' to bring up the GNOME
panel.  If you want desktop icons, you should run GMC.  If you have
session management (I think CDE supports session management), these
applications will automatically restart when the session starts once you
run them once.  From here, you should be able to compile just about any
gnome application.

If you run into any bugs while compiling anything, send a report to
submit@bugs.gnome.org with the gnomebug script.  Take a look at the
bugs.gnome.org web page before hand to see if the problem has been
reported previously before submiting the bug report though.

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/