Small gnome-terminal startup problem

Lately when I start gnome any gnome-terminals that start on login have
the first line running down the left hand side like so:

etc, this is only a very minor problem but it does make it hard to read
my fortune :) Any gnome-terminals that I start myself do not have the
problem. I remember I had the problem before but it went away and now
it's back, can't think of any changes I made either to make it go away
or come back. If anyone can shed any light on this I would appreciate
it.

I am running RH 6.0, enlightenment 15.4, gnome-core 1.0.6, and
gnome-libs 1.0.10 . Everything X-related (except XFree itself) is
installed from source in /usr/local .

	-Harry