Missing Menu Items

I just went through and updated my gnome packages via rpm.  However, I
compiled gnome-core-1.0.6 and gnome-libs-1.0.10.  Now I'm missing most of
the applications from my menu bar.

For example.  Normally I have a section entitled redhat menus, its now
showing up as AnotherLevel Menus.  The only menu item under applications
is Netscape, although I have gnumeric, GXedit, and the rest of the
standard gnome apps installed.  The same follows for most other menu
groups.

One thing I did change on the configure for both was --libdir=/usr/lib.  I
noticed the rpms seem to install the libraries to /usr/lib, while the tar
balls seem to prefer /usr/local/lib.  I also had to change -lgdbm
-L/usr/X11R6/lib to -lgdbm -L/usr/lib in the makefile to get gnome-core to
compile.

When it was pointing to /usr/X11R6/lib gnome-core would die complaining
it couldn't find -lgdbm, which appeared to be in /usr/lib.  At least I
have a library in /usr/lib called libgdbm.so.2.0.0 which is provided by a
package I think I picked up from one of the earlier gnome releases
gdbm-1.7.3-17.  What does the gdbm package provide, because it doesn't
appear to be in any of the newer gnome distributions.

How would I fix this?  Any suggestions hints, etc, would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian Seppanen
seppanen@bresnanlink.net