ppp problems

I have recurring problem with ppp in gnome. I use SuSE 6.0 but seeing as i
could get the scripts that Suse supply to connect teliably and get dns to
work. I stuck the settings in gnome-ppp . the script worked and i could
connect successfully BUT DNS still did not work i changed a few things (dont
know what) in yast and added some search domains in gnome-ppp. DNS started
working . rejoice. It has now stopped working after I had another go at
getting the ppp-up script working so i could connect using the modem lights
applet (which is totally cool btw) now i cant dial out from linux at all
because dns issnt working from gnome and if i use kppp in kde (which used to
work) pppd dies on the connect signal.

any ideas anyone?