GMC and Root Access [suggestion]

In the last two days I have had the need to use GMC. Firstly, a bug
report:

I have a series of files stored on a DOS partition written to by NT4. As
NT4 uses long filenames, all is well with GMC and the cmd line 'rm'
commands until either comes across a file beginning '- ' (dash space blah)
at which point GMC reports a permissions error occured (run as root) while
'rm' says no arguement allowed or something. NOTE that MC correctly
manages to delete the file, GMC and 'rm' don't.

OK, now the suggestion. In the above instance, and in the current instance
(I need to install an RPM from the RH disk) gmc needs to be run as root.
Rather than me having to open an rxvt, su root <password> and run gmc
(which gives the following error btw:

[root@cyberstorm jg]# gmc

GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
)
I'd like menu entry to select root access (through a dialogue asking for
the password obviously), and an exit root access and/or timeout value.

Any chance this could be done for the next release? I'm getting frustrated
by the rxvt lark.

Cheers,

--
James Green