gnome core dumps

i installed redhat 6.0 on a sparc 5 and am using gdm

however, when i select "gnome" as my window manager from the options pull
down menu and attempt to login,
i get logged out and gnome leaves a core file in $HOME

kde works and so does the failsafe session.

i disabled gdm and tried to use startx with my .xinitrc containing "exec
gnome-wm" and that brings up gnome, but
without any preferences and only 1 xterm open

where should i start looking to figure out why gnome logs me out when using
gdm?

Syed Ali