Re: Some Thoughts/Rewrite of specs

Kenneth Christíqua wrote once upon time:

> Yes I think that a rewrite would be very nice, but I also think that
> we should drop the name 'GNOME compliant' and replace it with something
> like 'GNU hints compliant', since the specs should not be tied to gnome.
> For instance the XFCE desktop environment also use the current gnome-specs.
> We should then cooperate with other teams like that of the KDE,
> and make some specs for making a wm 'GNU hints level 1 compliant' and
> 'GNU hints level 2 compliant' and then both the GNOME and the KDE team
> can use the same hints
>
> This will make it way easier for for wm authors to support KDE and GNOME,
> and further promote cooperation between the two teams
>
> 'GNU hints level 1 compliant' will be the standard hints, and level 2 will
> include stuff like CORBA compliance
>
> Kenneth

hi

i think wm's also must provide some hints, take this for example:

if you use the task bar of iceWM or the bar of E at top of your screen,
you have to place your icons manually, because when you use ´Arrange
Icons´ from gmc,
your icons are placed under the bar...
The panel doesn't also know about this things on your screen and
overdraw
them everytime

the same appears for the fvwm pager,the wharf, whatever...
The wm`s should provide information about location and size that
gmc/Gnome/Kde/XFCE/E can use.

The panel should provide information when ´autohide´ is on for example,
so that the
wm could resize the maximized window when the panel is hidden.

It would be nice to get this fixed...

bye