Re: single user feedback mechanism

On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 11:10:00AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> To suggest a feature on an existing app, file a bug on bugs.gnome.org with
> priority "wishlist."

Right, but too many users are unaware of this.  They do not associate
feature requests with bug reporting.  How often do you see people posting
suggestions to gnome-list instead of using Bugzilla?

> We could create a new fake package for filing "requests for new apps," but
> I'm not sure how useful that is - realistically there's little history of
> free software authors thinking "gee, I want to spend the next two years
> writing an app... let's see what suggestions there are on the web site..."

Again you are thinking sensibly, but you are assuming that the web
site is the only way for developers to access the database.  I don't
know whether this is currently the case, but if it was my call, new bug
reports would be posted to an nntp server, possibly also mailing lists,
broken down into the suggested groups - bugs proper, feature requests,
app requests.  Developers could then discuss them further, in addition
to having the option of querying the database whenever they want.

Feature requests should obviously be routed to the maintainer(s) of the
relevant module, but an all-inclusive group in addition to this might
be worth a try.