Re: Errors compiling from Gnome System Map: ld: cannot open -ldb1: ...

No, that's because grpm-0.1-2.i386.rpm is VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY,
VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY,
VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY
old.:)

Seriously, if you want a real package manager, use GnoRPM (available
from the Gnome Software Map).  It is MUCH better, and has current
versions available.