Re: GNOME:unable to connect to server port 35091 (fwd)

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Christian Stuermer wrote:

> Hi, ich bin neu in dieser Mailingliste. Falls es die Lösung für das
> Problem schon im Archiv gibt, bitte schreibt genau wo.
>
> Ich verwende SUSE 6.1
OK, That's the problem!

> Leider bekomme ich immer die Fehlermeldung:
>
> siehe oben
> This generally means that the programm could not talk to the esound server
You get this error-message if no esd is running.
I was using gnome on SuSucks 6.1 at university and it is buggy.
I can't remember exacty but I think I copyed
/opt/gnome/shate/default.session to ~/.gnome/session and it worked (for a
while).
I think the problem is the gnome-session does not find or creates a
working default-session.

> Diese Meldung bekomme ich wenn ich "gnome-session" tippe und dann tut sich
> nix mehr.
Yes, because the default-session is buggy and gnome-session simply hangs.

> Wenn ich "panel" tippe, dann startet Gnome zwar, aber die
> Fehlermeldung kommt trotzdem !
Yes, because the panel does not start esd.

> (neben viele andere Fehlermeldungen)
>

> Wenn ich aber "esd -port 35091 &" eingebe, dann höre ich eine Tonfolge.
This is ok because this means esd has started properly.
You don't need the switch -port because 35091 is the default.

> Woran scheitert es dann?
Woran es scheitert? Wie immer an SuSE! Die GNOME-Pakete sind schon etwas
veraltet und auch nicht astrein erstellt.

You can try to copy the session-file (see above) worked for me.

I can give you more detailed info on monday, when I'm back at university.

> Grüße,
>
> 	Christian

 Cheers, Martin.

      mailto:hawlisch@roxi.rz.fh-mannheim.de