Re: Gnome-terminal: secure keyboard?

Jim Gettys wrote:

> There is a bit in the event structure which tells you if the
> event was "sent" by a different application (via SendEvent).
>
> All you have to do is test for it, and ignore events from other
> clients...
>
> In general, it should be on by default.
>                                 - Jim
Jim, I'm not sure you're talking about the same thing I was
talking about, but I may be wrong.

In xterm, when you set 'secure keyboard' (in the
CTRL-leftbtton menu), no other X app can
receive keystrokes until you set it back to normal.  It's
used when entering plaintext passwords, etc. so that rogue
app's can't snoop on what you're typing, I believe.  Xterm
swaps the foreground and background colors to remind the
user s/he's in that mode.

I'll check out the xterm and gnome-terminal sources and see
if I can come up with a patch, but I won't get to it this
week...